Chestnut flour makes a delicious nutty flavoured pancake for either breakfast or brunch. These have been served with a side of almond and coconut cream. This is a nutritious combination that is very moreish. Russet apples are a great seasonal choice for winter. You can find them at many local health food stores and farmers markets.
- For Cream
- 200g Almond (soaked overnight and blanched)
- 200g Coconut pieces (skin removed)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Butter
- ½ tsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Bee Pollen
- For Pancakes
- 100g Chestnut Flour
- 3 eggs
- 250ml water
- 3 Russet Apples
- 100g Almonds (soaked overnight and roasted)
- 1 lime
1. Blend blanched almonds, coconut pieces, coconut butter, coconut sugar in a blender until smooth. Add more coconut butter if you want a thicker consistency.
2. Place in a small serving dish and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 170°F. Roast the almonds until crispy (10 - minutes). Set aside
4. For the pancakes, place chestnut flour in a bowl. Fold in the eggs and slowly add water, continuously whisking until you get a smooth batter.
5. Using a small frying pan, on medium heat, brushed with melted coconut oil. Slowly pour in a thin layer of the batter. Be sure to coat the pan evenly with batter. Cook until the pancakes easily lift and are golden brown on each side. Repeat using the remaining batter.
6. Transfer the pancakes to a dish and stack when they are done.
7. For the apple, either grate in food processor or spiralize.
8. Serve pancakes and the side dish of almond & coconut cream. Top with Roasted almonds and bee pollen. Garnish with a slice of lime.
You can make batter egg free by adding chia seeds as an egg replacement. 1tbsp = 1egg. Source: Adapted chestnut pancake recipe from Hemsley + Hemsley Allergy Advice: Nuts, eggs